Saturday 30 March 2013

30th March 2013: CP Essay Prep.


Over easter i have decided to have finished my first draft of my essay for the contextualising practice part to my fashion degree. Essays are not my strong point at all, so if i have got my 2,000 word draft, i can then take this to my tutorials, to show as my initial ideas and thoughts. With this my tutor can then help me by guiding me where i can progress with my essay so far. 
I had chosen the essay question. 
QUESTION NUMBER #10
How does the value we attach to objects change over time, and why do we throw things away? Answer with reference to one specific example.
Tonight i had created a rough plan and bullet points of ideas which i could expand into further developed paragraphs which in the end form my 2,000 word essay.
These are my points of interest for this essay.
INTRODUCTION
  • Reference; looking through the wardrobe book.
  • Woman get attached to their wardrobe, as they find It difficult to throw things away.
  • Prime example presently is the current fashion trend amongst my particular age group. The 80s 90s fashion trend has come back so this idea would play amongst our minds to that fashion will repeat itself and in this idea why would we want to throw clothes away when they will be back in style in time.

  • Another idea Is that most women will keep clothes to aim to fit in them. If they are on a diet most women will keep their favourite clothes so that they will work hard enough to fit back into them, so they would not throw them away.
  • Some clothes no matter how much they are worn, damadged, we will carry on fixing them and wearing them since they have so much sentimental value.
  • Most women have some pieces of clothing which was a gift and has again sentimental value and memories to which they would not throw away. Wedding dresses are a prime example of this. My mother has still kept her wedding dress in her wardrobe and this is now dating back over 15 years.  Another member of my family, my auntie has just currently found her own mothers wedding dress in her wardrobe and this dates back even further years. It was all hand made buy my aunties, grandmother. Each layer of lace all hand embroidered on. When this is the case this creates more monertary value to which you would not want to throw away. I know when I get married in the future I would not like to think I would get rid of my own wedding dress.  Even the simplest of dresses to my Prom dress: I know this is only a minimal example comaring this to a wedding dress but I would not dare to think to throw mine away or get rid of this. I know this was only 4 years ago, but some pieces of clothing like this in our wardobes hold to many memories to just get rid of. This is why women in particular find it hard to throw things away. 
  •  Another example of clothing within my mothers wardrobe, is this lace long sleeved dress.  Even though she would never wear this piece of clothing again: reasoning because it is not the right size,  she had grown up, she still would not part with this dress. All reasoning because this is the first piece of clothing that my dad bought her as a present when they were younger. This dating back to around 25 years ago.  Such a simple piece of clothing, but such a difficult decision that she would not make to decide to get rid of.  It is the principle and story behind the garment which allows it to then become difficult to throw away. Now the time has progressed throughout the years, the sentimental attachment towards this has grown stronger, and I think this is the case for most pieces of garments that live in our wardrobes. The longer they stay in there, the harder it is to get rid of.
  • Choices of clothing. Never have too many clothes.
  • Sterotypical woman.
  • How much the garment was when initially first purchased.

Vital points from LECTURES I want to incorporate.
  • Consiputious consumption
  • Thorstein Veblens “The Theory of Leisure class 1899”.
The act of purchasing and use of certain goods to identify oneself to others as having a status.
  •  GOFFMAN “ describes Clothing  as identity kits”.
  • Clothes are kept to frame our past identity,
  • The woman I was and wanted to be.
  • The way we organize our clothes within our wardobes, or even our clothes on the floor describe our identity. Are we hawders? Are our clothes organized or are they cluttered.
  • Cwerner & Metcalfe 2003:231       Things in our home show your wealth ( clutter, collection)
  • Objects and memories associated with them reflect our past present and our future.
  • Mary Douglas 1975 and Jean Bawdilliard 1973: What doe the object symbolize to you? What does something signify beyond its every day use?
All these points  i could expand and relate them to a couple of the relevant lectures that we had been given throughout the term.

i am dreading this to be honest. Dreading to where i would start and where i would honesty begin to reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment